Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Swamp Wreath!!


So my friend brought me one of those wreaths made of straw.  I knew I wanted a wreath for the door, but just wasn't sure what I wanted in terms of style.

I usually start by cruising around the internet for ideas, and usually find some inspiration.  This time, not so.  I found the wreaths I was seeing to be too seasonal, or too country.  Nothing spoke to me.

This time, inspiration came from the kayaking the local swamps and bayous.  I thought, "Swamp Wreath!!", and it was on.  I launched out in search of swamp critters.  I found some dragon flies and spiders at Le Jouet, a toy store in a nearby suburb.  Faux alligator head, frog, crawfish, and snake all came from a place called Accent Annex which is a kind of Mardi Gras supply depot.  The Spanish Moss and Magnolias came from JoAnn's fabric and Michael's respectively.

Just a note, this city is full of real alligator heads for sale, but no alligators were harmed in the making of this particular swamp wreath.

I lined the straw wreath with some burlap garland, easily pinned in place.  Spanish moss was secured with floral wire, which is also securing the alligator, frog, snake, spiders and dragon flies.  Pins secure the Magnolias and crawfish.  Once I had the accessories, the wreath took all of an hour or so to assemble.

I love the dragon flies in flight and spiders hanging down on their "silk".  The pictures don't do it justice, but this wreath has a very 3-D quality when you see it in person.  The bugs and arachnids are all at different depths.

My step-mother gave me the advice once, that if you want to buy something, ask yourself if you love it.  If the answer is yes, purchase away, if no, walk on by.  This sage advice has saved me countless dollars over the years.  In terms of crafting, I'm so grateful that I didn't settle for creating something I didn't love just to get a wreath on the door.  It took me a few days, and a lot of thought, but the delayed gratification was completely worth it with this swamp wreath.  I love coming home to see my mossy, magnolia-laced creation.  It is quite unique, and not like anything I've seen anywhere else.



No comments:

Post a Comment