Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hanging Basil



In my gardening experiments, I've learned that I do not necessarily need to plant all the seeds from the packet.  However, this lesson was learned after I planted many, many, many basil seeds.  Therefore, there are lots of little basil seedlings in my life.  In fact, if you are in town, come get some free basil.  I started this project in an effort to find homes for some of the basil seedlings.  

Another lesson learned in my gardening journey is everything is a container.  These planters were once a mayo jar, orange juice container, and seltzer bottle.  I cut the tops off and drilled drainage holes in the bottom.  Filled with gravel, potting mix, and my little basil seedlings.  

Bought a $4 2x4 at the Home Depot and screwed three hooks I already had in my craft drawer right on into the board.  The board conveniently rests between my two cupboards.  I'm thinking it will eventually get painted as naked wood doesn't last too long in my house.

Now for the fun part. I crocheted hanging baskets out of some jute rope I had.  I am hardly an experienced crochet person, but I have found crochet to be an easy and versatile skill to have.  Glad I picked it up.  With knitting I need a pattern, but with crochet I can just shape and make whatever I need.  Well maybe not whatever, but hanging baskets were no problem.  Below is an up close view of the hanging baskets.

This window is nice and sunny, so hopefully the basil will do well.  The arrangement will come in handy when the basil plants are larger and the inevitable caprese urge hits.  







No comments:

Post a Comment